Inaugural Meeting of the International Forum for Reactor Aging Management (IFRAM)
The presentations and focus group activities from the Inaugural IFRAM meeting held August 4-5, 2011 at Cheyenne Mountain Resort in Colorado Springs, Colorado are listed below. Click on the "title" to see a PDF version of the presentation.
SESSION TOPIC: IFRAM — Promoting international cooperation in reactor aging management. This session provides reports from Asia, Europe and the U.S.
- Professor T. Shoji, Tohoku University, Asian Activities of Nuclear Power Plant Aging Management
- Professor Il Soon Hwang, Seoul University, Proactive Materials Degradation Management in Korea
- Dr. Oliver Martin, European Commission: Institute for Energy, Nuclear Power Generation in Europe and European Level R&D on Reactor Ageing Management
- Dr. Valery Prunier, EdF, representing NULIFE ExeGroup, European PLIM activities under SNETP and NULIFE
- Mr. Garry Young, Entergy Nuclear, License Renewal and LTO in the U.S.
- Mr. Gene Carpenter, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Promoting International Cooperation In Reactor Aging Management – USNRC Perspective
SESSION TOPIC: Establishing Focus Groups
The presentations in this session cover two areas that IFRAM wants to initiate Focus Groups.
- Dr. Jeremy Busby, ORNL, Materials Aging and Degradation: Needs and Opportunities for Better NDE
- Dr. Leonard Bond, PNNL, On-Line Monitoring Activities & Potential
- Professor Tetsuo Shoji, Tohoku University, Current Status of Plant Life Management in Japan
- Dr. Jan Van Der Lee, Director, The Materials Ageing Institute (MAI), Plant Life Extension Guidelines
- Dr. Amy Hull, N U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Generic Aging Lessons Learned (GALL)
SESSION TOPIC: Focus Group Reports & Discussion
- Dr. Leonard J. Bond (group leader), Proposal to Establish On-line Monitoring Focus Group. Revised Title: Technologies for Monitoring Aging and Materials Degradation
- Mr. Gene Carpenter (group leader), Proposal to Establish Plant Life Guidelines Focus Group. Revised Title: Proposal to Establish Focus Group to Determine Technical Issues related to Plant Life Management
SESSION TOPIC: Signing Event for IFRAM Certificate
SESSION TOPIC: Plenary Session
- Ki Sig Kang, Nuclear Power Division, IAEA, The Need of International Cooperation and Previous Experiences
SESSION TOPIC: Panel Discussion on Collaborative Research in Reactor Aging Management-Post Fukushima
- Mr. Gene Carpenter, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, NRC Near-Term Task Force Review of Insights from the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Accident
- Professor Il Soon Hwang, Seoul University, Summary of PRIMA-NET Survey on IFRAM Focus-Topics
- Dr. Jan Van Der Lee, Director, The Materials Ageing Institute (MAI), Material Research to Support Safe Long-Term Operation Status and Perspectives of the MAI
SESSION TOPIC: Group Reports and Discussion
The recommendations of the working groups provide IFRAM with direction for promoting cooperation on research projects.
- Dr. Leonard J. Bond (group leader), Recommended Collaborative Research Topics
- Gene Carpenter (group leader), Recommended Collaborative Research Topics
SESSION TOPIC: Ideas for Future IFRAM Activities
This brainstorming activity provided a wealth of ideas for future IFRAM activities.
- David Brenchley (leader), "One thing I'd like IFRAM to do is..."
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission provided the support for this meeting. The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory planned and conducted the meeting on behalf of the U.S. NRC.